Thursday, February 24, 2011

Getting 'Knit'-Picky


My new nesting craving, so to speak, is making things for the baby.

It started when I went to pick up a prenatal listener to listen to nugget in my belly (which I had to return anyway, because I ruined my birthday present!). Walking past the yarn aisle, I regained a sudden urge to purchase yarn and a crochet hook and make a baby blanket. So I did. Of course, I never do things right the first time, so I ended up changing my mind about 20 times before deciding on a final pattern and yarn for the blanket.

However, I noticed quickly that I was running out of the yarn I had chosen for the blanket--a thick, soft, almost velour white yarn. So, as usual, Jenny and I got bored and decided to go out to dinner/Hobby Lobby.

At first I was pissed that they didn't carry my yarn, but then Jenny stumbled upon some knit-stuffed animals, packaged and made by this company. Spiders, teddy bears, giraffes, lions, zebras, etc. Granted, they were ten bucks per pack but I figured it was worth it for something that would keep me busy. Plus, I thought, it would be a great addition to the Safari animals theme that had happened upon baby and me around Christmas-time. So I picked up the lion and decided that, by weekend's end, I would have completed the damn thing and decided if I wanted to make the rest.

We got home, put on a movie, and I sat down with a vicious determination to 'tame the beast.' Maybe a bit too hastily, I started knitting. The pattern had asked for garter stitch when I had begun working the stockinette stitch

Shit.

By the time I realized this, I had to decide if I was going to start completely over and lose some of the minimal yarn the kit had supplied me with, or continue in stockinette. Frantic, I tried to convince myself that stockinette was better anyway. "Damn patterns," I said to myself. "Anyone can follow them, but it takes a real knitting badass to modify them!"

And then my self limiting talk kicked in, saying stupid stuff like "Well the baby's going to think you're lazy" and "Everyone will be able to tell you messed it up." So I countered it. "NO! The baby's going to be like, dude, you guys suck for saying that it's ugly, it's MY lion and my mom's awesome for not following the rules! She's a knit-revolutionary."

I was having a lot of fun imagining that my kid will be born with an automatic knowledge of all things knit, but then I realized the baby will just cuddle it because I put it there, or because it smells like me.

Cheers to knitting, and completing ugly, lumpy animals for your kids to love.


1 comment:

  1. I am stoked that I am your first subscriber. Boom! What a pretty hippie daisy page. Quite a few key points here:

    dinner/Hobby Lobby

    the fact that you have already figured out that we don't get things right the first time (took a miscarriage for me and a whoops to get my first perfect child

    your ability to 'work the needles'

    knitting 'bad-ass'? (I have a visual going on with this one) Just hide the needles from Sadie when she has the rare outburst...or you can quick knit her a punching bag instead

    I love the fact that his first word will be DUDE!

    And his mama is awesome for breaking the rules.

    The finished lion is purr-fect! (Is that Tom's nose)

    ReplyDelete